The medical/non-surgical and surgical weight management programs have been developed with you in mind and customized to help assure success. In collaboration with surgeons and other clinical professionals, the staff of St. Vincent Physician Network-Weight Management works with you on your weight loss journey to achieve a long-term healthy weight.
Weight Management offers the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, gastric sleeve surgery, the LAP- BAND® system and a non-surgical, medical weight loss program.
SHAPEDOWN®, the most successful child and adolescent weight loss program in the country is also available.
With increasing your good health as the goal, Weight Management is your partner in achieving a successful and sustained weight loss.
About Obesity and Being Overweight
Obesity in our country is a very serious problem of epidemic proportions. About 66% of Americans are above his/her ideal body weight. One in three American adults is obese and 30% of children are overweight or obese.
Like high blood pressure, diabetes and depression, obesity results from a genetic predisposition combined with environmental factors. In fact, a child with one obese parent has a 30% chance of becoming obese. A child with two obese parents has a 70% chance of becoming obese. Obesity is a chronic condition that cannot be cured, yet it can be controlled.
It is important to be realistic about your weight loss goals. Most people at 40 or 50 years of age will not weigh what they did when they were 20 or 30 years old. The goal in losing weight is to improve your health, and this can be achieved with moderate losses and lifestyle changes.
Criteria for Bariatric Surgery
You may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if you meet the following criteria:
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of:
- 35 or greater for gastric bypass
- 30 or greater for Lap Band
- You are 18 years of age or older
- You have been overweight for 5 years or longer
- You do not have an underlying illness that has caused you to gain weight
- You do not abuse drugs or alcohol
- You have been unable to sustain a weight loss through diet and exercise
- You are committed to making changes in your diet and lifestyle
- You are willing to continue to work with and be monitored by your Bariatric Team
We invite you to click the links below to explore your options: