Before your surgical procedure you may have several questions. Your physician will provide you with detailed instructions regarding how to prepare for your procedure, what the procedure entails, the inherit risks of the procedure and what to expect after your surgery and during the recovery phase. St. Vincent Healthcare staff are always available to answer any questions you may have. Surgery Plus can be contacted at 237-4201 or you can choose to utilize our Nurse Advisor by dialing 406-657-8778 or toll-free 800-762-8778 24-hours a day, seven days a week. We are here and ready to listen and are licensed to provide information to residents of Montana and Wyoming.
There are some guidelines to follow prior to your procedure:
- You can NOT have anything to eat or drink 8 hours prior to your surgery, unless you have been specifically instructed differently by your doctor. This includes any liquid, food, chewing tobacco, gum, candy or mints. This is for your own safety and reduces the risk of vomiting or breathing the stomach contents into your lungs during anesthesia or the surgical procedure.
- Patients who are having an outpatient procedure MUST arrange for a responsible adult to take them home and stay with them until the next day.
- You will be asked for a list of all prescription and over-the-counter medications you take, including vitamins and herbs. We need the name, dosage and why you take each medication. Please do not bring any medications to the hospital with you.
- You should take your usual morning blood pressure and heart medications with a sip of water.
- You can take your pain pills with a sip of water.
- You have the right to expect appropriate pain control. We will strive to keep you as comfortable as safely possible. We will be asking you to score your pain using a numerical scale (zero being no pain and 10 being the worst pain you can imagine). Using this scale will allow us to know how you are feeling, include you within managing your symptoms and provide us with the knowledge we need to determine your symptoms are being handled effectively.
- If you wear contact lenses, bring a container for the lenses or wear your glasses on the day of your procedure.
- You may want to bring pillows or blankets for your trip home.
- If you develop a cold, persistent cough, fever or any other health related problems, or if you need to cancel your surgery, please notify your physician.
- A Financial Counselor will be available to you prior to the day of your procedure. The intent is to reduce financial worries during your recovery time. The Financial Counselor may be reached at 237-3200 for inquiries about your financial responsibilities. The counselor will determine:
- The estimated charges for your procedure
- Your payment options
- The payment expectations
- Before your procedure, we will need a copy of your insurance cards and photo ID. We accept co-pay/deductible payments by credit card, check, cash; or payment arrangements may be made with the Financial Counselor.
- You are responsible for any personal belongings you bring to the hospital. We encourage you to leave valuables at home. All jewelry must be removed, including ALL body piercing jewelry. We will be sending your belongings with those accompanying you.