Limb Preservation Program
St. Vincent Healthcare’s Limb Preservation Program is a service provided by a comprehensive team of specialists who collaborate to treat most limb threatening conditions. While the team consists of physicians, nurses and technicians with expertise in all aspects of limb salvage, the main focus is on the patient with diabetic foot problems and/or vascular compromise who are at risk for foot and leg amputation due to conditions such as infections, non-healing wounds and peripheral arterial disease.
Those At-Risk for Amputation
Multiple factors place people at risk for amputation or loss of limb. Disease states which can threaten limb loss including: diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, kidney failure, venous insufficiency, lymphedema and other conditions.
Our program offers advanced treatment techniques for treating limb threatening conditions or diseases such as:
- Advanced Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) and Critical Limb Ischemia
- Venous disorders
- Diabetic conditions
- Foot ulcers
- Lower limb infections, including osteomyelitis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Acute and chronic infections which threaten extremities
Combining Advanced Care with Convenience
This program is the first of its kind in the Northern Rocky Mountain region to focus on preventing amputation by utilizing advances in technology to treat limb-threatening conditions. The Limb Preservation Program employs the latest limb-saving techniques through a multidisciplinary approach. Vascular surgeons and podiatrists manage care and coordinate referrals to specialists in cardiology, endocrinology, infectious disease, orthopedics, plastic surgery and rehabilitation.
Specialized physicians on the team include:
- Vascular Surgeons
- Wound Specialists
- Plastic Surgeons
- Infectious Disease Specialist
Our program includes access to:
- Wound Care / Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Infectious Disease Specialists
- Rehabilitation Medicine Specialists
- Physical and Occupational Therapist
Early diagnosis allows for the selection of appropriate medical, endovascular and surgical intervention to give the best chances of preventing amputation. Preserving limbs and the ability to walk is critical to maintaining personal autonomy and dignity. St. Vincent Healthcare’s Limb Preservation Program is dedicated to preserving limbs, independent walking and patient lifestyle.
Services and Diagnostic Tools
- Vein Center
- Vascular Surgery
- Full certified vascular lab
- Ankle-brachial index (ABI) and toe-brachial index (TBI) tests
- Transcutaneous oximetry (tcPO2)
- Venous and arterial ultrasound
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Advanced imaging to include CT, MRI and Angiography
Vascular surgeons and podiatrists manage care and coordinate referrals to specialists in cardiology, endocrinology, infectious disease, orthopedics, plastic surgery and rehabilitation. Patients will also be provided access and may be directed to outpatient services specializing in chronic, non-healing wounds. Treatment may include debridement, growth factor therapy, biologics and Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment.
- Revascularization through minimally invasive catheter based procedures
- Complex Surgical Intervention including arterial bypass
- Reconstructive surgical intervention
- Minimally invasive vein therapies
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Wound debridement and specialty dressings
- Biomechanical and pressure off-load strategies
- Reconstructive foot surgery
- Plastic surgical procedures for wound coverage including skin
Our Guiding Principle is that maximal limb preservation can only be achieved when evaluation and treatment are performed by a dedicated team of doctors with expertise in infection and diabetes control, current cell and gene therapies and vascular, endovascular and orthopedic procedures combined with appropriate rehabilitation for the at-risk patient.