Your well being means your body, mind and spirit are working together to provide you with optimal health, physical fitness and a positive outlook. A sense of well being is an asset in a successful weight loss program.
Obesity in our country is problem of epidemic proportions. About 66% of Americans are above his/her ideal body weight. One in three American adults is obese, and 30% of children and adolescents are obese.
Why do people weigh what they weigh? Research has shown there are many factors, the amounts of fat and sugars in the diet and reduced exercise have contributed to the rising rate of obesity. Eating too much and exercising too little also contribute to obesity and so do genetics.
Like high blood pressure, diabetes and depression, obesity results from a genetic predisposition combined with environmental factors. In fact, a child with one obese parent has a 30% chance of becoming obese. A child with two obese parents has a 70% chance of becoming obese. Obesity is a chronic condition that cannot be cured, yet it can be controlled.
HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS TIPS
- Eat breakfast everyday.
- Spread your calories throughout the day.
- Ideally strive for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner.
- All foods are fair game but try to stay within your calorie budget.
- Do NOT go on a diet.
- Make changes in day to day living that are sustainable.
- Drink 64+oz of water each day.
- Increase your overall activity.
- Wear a pedometer and try to reach 10,000 steps each day.
- Desserts can be part of a weight loss program.
- Celebrate our successes and milestones.
- Think of food as fuel for your body - high octane or low grade?
- Develop a good support network.
- Practice moderation on all things.
- View this as a journey and not a race.
BODY FAT PERCENTAGE
The body is composed of fat tissue, muscle, organ tissue, bone, blood and water. A certain amount of fat is essential to bodily functions. Though too much fat is not healthy.
The following table describes body fat ranges and their associated categories:
||2 - 4%
||14 - 20%
||6 - 13%
||21 - 24%
||14 - 17%
||25 - 31%
||18 - 25%